Monday, March 1, 2010
Etiquette First: Random Acts of Kindness
Today, as my birthday approaches, I am trying to make it a point to be more selfless. That is to think less of self. As we are all created in the image of God, it is only natural (and spiritual as well...) that we would be more concerned about others. After all, God gave his only begotten son (John 3:16) that we might have everlasting life. For a moment, just ponder the enormity of this gesture. For all of readers who are parents, I'm sure you feel me. Think about the saying "treat people the way you want to be treated", but take that a step further and treat people the way THEY want to be treated.
A step towards this journey of selflessness is to practice random acts of kindness towards others, or better yet... think about all that God has done in your life, and find a way to pay it forward for someone else. Now I'm not asking you to sacrifice your first born, or donate an organ, or anything like that; that is unless you feel so inspired-- stop playing! Seriously, I'm speaking of something small, like paying the toll for a car behind you, or shoveling the snow for an elderly neighbor. This is not to be seen, but the funny thing is... it will make you feel like someone just did something for you!
Now, for the haters, you guys can participate as well... just try telling someone thank you today, remember it's the little things that matter. My hope is that as we practice random acts of kindness we are filled with an infectious passion to serve others, thus making these random acts of kindness habitual. Below is a list of 20 ideas to get you started.
1. Pay my mortgage (Lol!)
3. Place a quarter in someone's expiring parking meter.
4. Leave a generous tip for your waiter.
5. Send an anonymous small gift.
6. Treat a friend to dinner, or the movies for no reason.
7. Give up your metro seat to someone else.
8. Send a hand written note (NO EMAILS!).
9. Help an expectant mother.
10. Encourage or inspire someone else.
11. Offer to babysit for a friend.
12. Volunteer at a shelter.
13. Thank a soldier for their service to our country.
14. Offer your postal delivery person something warm to drink. or an ice cream on a hot day.
15. Give up your right of way in traffic.
16. Send a friend an anonymous subscription to a magazine that they may be interested in.
17. Compliment someones outfit, or appearance.
19. Support an artist, writer or musician.
20. Talk to a homeless person and learn their story.
Here at First Street, we think selflessness is the new sexy, so let's bring sexy back for real, because after all... life is good, but living is better!